Don’t Poison Your Puppy – Essential Dog Care Tips

Don't Poison Your Puppy

Dangers abound in a household for a puppy. The same can be said for your yard. There are many types of common foods as well as houseplants that should be kept out of reach.

Common Dangerous Foods

There are many human foods that can be poisonous to puppies. In small amounts the ingredients can cause sickness. In large amounts, the end result can be fatal.

If your puppy is a toy dog breed, he will likely be affected by the smallest quantity of a dangerous food. It is always best to feed your puppy top quality puppy food and nutritious treats that are meant for puppies.

Chocolate

Chocolate is deadly for puppies! Even a small portion can be lethal. Chocolate contains a large percentage of Methylxanthines (or Theobromine) which is toxic to animals. Dark chocolate contains a larger amount of this ingredient than does milk chocolate.

Chocolate can bring about epileptic seizures in dogs, as well as internal bleeding, cardiac irregularity and cardiac arrhythmia.

Coffee and Tea

Both of these drinks can be lethal to puppies. Heart palpitations can result, as can an irregular heartbeat and shortness of breath.

Onions 

Onions contain a substance called Thiosulphate that can bring on Hemolytic Anemia in a puppy. This means that the red blood cells in the blood stream can reach the bursting point. Onion consumption can lead to bloody diarrhea, vomiting, breathlessness and in some cases, death.

Garlic is also harmful to puppies, however onions are worse because the toxin in them is more concentrated.

Avocados

A toxin contained in avocados called Persin can cause intestinal problems in puppies, as well as diarrhea and vomiting.

Candy (in particular sugarless)

Avoid giving your puppy candy in any form! Candy contains a sweetener called Xylitol. This toxin can cause a quick drop in blood pressure. It can also usher in seizures and the possibility of liver failure.

Walnuts

Walnuts are high in phosphorous which make them bad for puppies. Walnut consumption can have serious side effects. Walnuts can cause bladder stones.

(Please note- many types of nuts are bad for dogs. Macadamia nuts for example, can cause temporary paralysis to a puppy.)

Other potentially dangerous foods include:

  • Citrus fruits (such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes)
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Potatoes (green potatoes and peelings)
  • Turkey skin
  • Iron and multivitamins that contain iron
  • Yeast dough (uncooked)
  • Alcohol
  • Apple seeds
  • Tomato leaves and stems
  • Salt
  • Broccoli

Keep all tobacco products away from the reach of curious puppies. Do not feed your puppy any foods that are fried or fatty. They same goes for any foods that are spoiled or moldy.

Common Dangerous Houseplants

Be careful of what houseplants reside in your home! Many plants can cause your puppy to become extremely ill. The same can be said for many plants in your yard and garden.

Any number of symptoms can be exhibited by a puppy that has been poisoned by a plant.

Symptoms of poisoning by plants

  • Skin and/or mouth irritation
  • Rapid labored breathing
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Staggering
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • DeathKiller houseplants

Listed here are only a few houseplants.

-Lilies
-Philodendron
-Eucalyptus
-Azalea
-Ivy
-Amaryllis
-Spider plants
-Oleander
-Calla lily
Jerusalem cherry
-Crocus (in particular Autumn Crocus)
-Daffodil
-Easter lilies
-Mistletoe
-Rhododendron
-Geranium
-Tiger lily
-Hurricane plant
-Foxglove
*Please note, some people report that the Aloe Vera plant is dangerous for puppies while others say it is not. When in doubt check with your veterinarian.

Puppy-Proof Your Home!

Take the necessary precautions to puppy-proof your home when it comes to dangerous houseplants. This also goes for other hazards such as chemicals and cords that can cause electrical shock.

Keep dangerous objects and substances out of reach of your precious puppy!

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) can provide dog owners with detailed descriptions of what plants and other substances are toxic for their animals.

Prevention is Essential!

Do not put your puppy in harm’s way by doing everything you can to prevent a poisoning from occurring in the first place. Find out what plants are toxic. Once you are armed with the proper information, you can remove the plants from your home and/or yard.  Another option is to make sure that the plant(s) does not come in contact with your puppy.

Treatment

If you have reason to believe that your puppy has ingested a poisonous substance, induce vomiting immediately. Then call the veterinarian. Inform the vet what the puppy has eaten and how much. The vet will then give you further instructions.

Keep in mind that you should always keep a close eye on your puppy. If you are paying attention to him then he will stay safe and healthy!

"Horace started training bird dogs when he was eight years old. He once trained a boxer to point quail. It was the talk of the neighborhood. In his teen years he trained pointers and Irish Setters. He took an interest in Greyhounds and became very active in training these special animals and has been active in Greyhound adoption."

LEAVE A REPLY